Tuesday, January 09, 2007

a rant on interviews

i have decided that with today's technology the current practice of applying for jobs and interviewing for jobs sucks. it has been my experience in applying for jobs that you have to apply for jobs on the internet. this if fine and dandy and doesn't consume too much time, but it is flawed. the problem is that once you click the magical button that says apply there is nothing more you can do. websites will even put a disclaimer on their website that states you are not to contact them. how in the world are you supposed to even know if they read your application!!! kinda annoying if you ask me. as for interviews, this is even more frustrating. how often do you have an interview (think it was a good one) and then never hear anything back. granted a "thanks but no thanks" letter will eventually come in the mail, but sometimes you don't even get that. for example, i interviewed for a job a year and a half ago and thought i did pretty good. i didn't get hired. no big deal, there could have been any number of reasons for it. okay, so a week ago i applied with the same company again (its been 1.5 yrs later) and thought i had a good shot at it since i have a friend working there and i applied three days after the position was posted. i come to find out that i will not even be considered for the position because i didn't pass the phone interview a year and a half ago! talk about being pissed off. i could have spared myself the time and energy with even applying. if it wasn't for my friend on the inside who looked into my ap., i would have never known that i failed the phone interview. i could have been applying for months to come and doing it all in vain! so now that i know this i will never waste my time with them again. too bad i currently use this company or i would write them off completely. (no ruhama it isn't walmart) i better quit writing before i get my blood pressure too high.

until next time - the FRUSTRATED gardener

4 comments:

Jenny Aust said...

I hate stupid people! And I do agree that the job search and interview process SUCKS! Brad (and I) interviewed at more churches than I care to remember and some of them never sent a "Dear John" letter or even called to say he was out of the running. And only a few actually gave us good feedback about how to improve our interview skills. (That would have been helpful.)

I'm totally with you on this one Chris...but remember, (Miss Positive here)it only takes one sane company and one good interview to make it happen...and it will happen.)

librariane said...

I'm sorry--I've had experiences similar to this, but never did I *not* find out about professional jobs. The worst was a family I babysat for one summer: they just kind of let me go without saying why or that they weren't going to use me anymore (until I called them on it). And I had been babysitting every day for them!

You need one of those stress dolls that pop out the eyes and ears. That might make you feel better.

And you should totally be writing off the den of evil, even if it isn't the company in this example. ;)

gianna said...

den of evil is Walmart, right? I wanted to make sure I wasn't confused!

GeoLeoF said...

Sometimes people are just stupid. If the people they pick using the old standards fail, wouldn't you think they would change their standards? Go figure.
Brad and Jenny have lots of experience in these trying times too. Actually, for about the first two years you knew me I didn't have a regular job either. Hang in there.